Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Most emphatically I am that one!

Now that I've returned to my studies, I'm reading up on world history. I found a book at the university library on South American "Indians", by Paul Radin. The book is from 1942, so I have to check up on this stuff later, but it's an interesting read.

I'm currently on the Tupi-Guarani, who lived in the Amazon basin. Ritualistic cannibalism was part of their culture; they would take prisoners of war and ceremonially eat them. Before a captive is killed, he has a ritual "conversation" with his executioner. As I read it, I couldn't help but visualize it like this, with my apologies to Ryan North.

(click comic for larger image)



I feel I have to stay true to the source, so I reproduced the entire conversation, but I can't help thinking the comic would be much better if the last panel was blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment