Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Black steel in the hour of chaos

I got a letter from the government the other day
Opened it and read it
It said they were suckers
They wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me giving a damn, I said never.
Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like myself
Because I never did
I wasn't with it but just that very minute
It occurred to me the suckers had authority.

**

I did, in fact, get a letter from the government today. In very archaic and plain weird terms, it said they were suckers, but they did have authority. I've been sentenced to 114 days in prison, effective July 3rd, for refusing to complete my "civilian service". Finnish legalese, by the way, is only slightly confusing, but it is very linguistically strange.

So, now it's official: I'm going to prison, most likely around the end of July. Under the Finnish system, 114 days translates to about four months real time, so basically I'll spend the fall of 2009 behind bars.

**

It's up to you not to heed the call-up
You must not act the way you were brought up
Who give you work and why should you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment