Saturday, June 11, 2011

DeLarge


Alex looking especially evil, obviously due to the pageboy mop.


Our lives run on culture, and here at Bellacozy/Holdfast,  our minds lean more towards cult, movies specifically.  We consume movies voraciously, and our favorites are the ones that leave us bamboozled.  We crave intensity, visual and emotional.  One film we like to viddy in particular is Stanley Kubrick's 1971 adaptation of Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange.  
Obviously, this is an extremely popular film.  I can't count the number of times I've heard people rave about it, and in my google search for images related to this post, I found hundreds of documented Alex costumes.  But I must not be thwarted by something's popularity, especially if I feel passionately about it.
I could go on and on about the production design, my love of the language used, or how I feel about the whole book v. movie adaptation, but instead I will devote this post to something more chilling to me - the impossibly strong attraction Holdfast and I both feel toward Malcolm McDowell as Alexander DeLarge.  



This scene provides proof of the power of the very intense gesture of sitting on someone's lap.  It is a very deliberate and commanding move, and I'm surprised it hasn't been employed in more leadership camps, because I do believe one could become a tycoon this way.  Although, they very well could be teaching young business people this practice and I wouldn't know it because I am an artist and a dropout, and have never attended a business seminar.

Why go to the local coffee shop when you can drink here? Milk with Vellocet, milk with Synthmesc; whatever suits you. Plus, you're likely to catch a Devotchka or two ;)
On the same note, it didn't occur to me until I lent my Russian History Nerd brother the book that all of the other atrificial coloquialisms and idioms used in the film are Russian as well.  Even "horor show" is a derivation of the Russian word for good.  In my brother's opinion, Anthony Burgess' book appears to be set in a Soviet occupied Russia, and, being that the novel was written during the Cold War era, this hypothesis is not easily ignored.

It is hard to pick just which part of the elaborate sets I like the best, but really this "Dancing Jesus" sculpture by artist Herman Makkink, who did a few other pieces for he film as well.

I'd feel satisfied without the droogs.  In the words of Tyler Perry, some can do bad all by themselves.

There is a particular facial muscle that is more pronounced on some people and I am very attracted to it.  It is located just outside the dimples, and this man has it. Not to mention, I love a man with nice lashes...
It is in this situation that I would be most likely to come under attack.  If any man anywhere approaches me in this getup I will most likely follow him home.  The ensuing romp is fast-forwarded in the film, but if anyone knows where I can get a real-time version of the shot, I will be highly appreciative and go watch it by myself.

You'd think that wearing a full-body jumpsuit would deter one's being raped at least a little bit, but in this scene they come prepared with scissors, and cut the devotchka's clothes right off her.

Ever smirking in spite of spit and a broken nose.


Last year Holdfast meticulously carved this as her halloween pumpkin. 

'Ta

No comments:

Post a Comment