Friday, July 8, 2011

Late night double feature - the Slut and the doctor



Rocky Horror Picture Show is a very sexy movie.  It is hard to tell what exactly makes it that way, because one could call the humor in it fairly silly, but the two sexiest characters are pretty easy to tell.  The transformation of Janet (SLUT) from naive to highly sensualized is a very delightful thing to watched, upstaged entirely however from Tim Curry's unparalleled portrayal of the ravenous Docot Frank N. Furter.


If his voice alone was not enough to set you atwitter, then everything about his demeanor ought to do the trick.  Confident, commanding, wicked and somehow goofy as well, Tim Curry has long been one of my favorite actors, voice or in person.  In my various revisits to movies of my childhood, I know realize what gave me such strange and different sensations whenever the villain from Ferngully sang this song...


We haven't forgotten how sexy Susan Sarandon is. With talent in many fields and big glassy eyes to boot, she is an actress I adore to see pop up on shows such as 30 Rock, or make better movies out of what would be super-lame ones, such as Stepmother.





I diodn't see this movie until I was about 14, and needless to say it rocked my fragile world.  Nothing helps you come out of your shell like the realization that men in garters and corsets is pelican-fly.  I loved everything about the film, of course, and I definately feel that I like the film better than any of the many stage productions I've seen.



What words can even express the way I feel about this movie - and really it's the movie that is the landmark, and less tha play. Sure, the written words are there, but everyone - and I mean all of the diehard fans I can mention - thinks of the movie as the unbeatable entity. I love all of the characters, all of the songs, all of the sets, all of the sly double-entendres, all of the actors, all of the everything.
It is because I love this movie so much that I can't go to group viewings of it. There are so many little props to throw and names to call out that the film itself cannot even be heard. I like to dress up, you'd better believe, but if I want to watch this movie, by God you costume-wearing plebians better shut the fuck up and stop throwing bread.  I love you but I already know the script by heart, too, I don't need to hear every word plus all of the cultural additives..it makes it like watching two movies at the same time when the original one and only is all I want to see.





Give yourself over to absolute pleasure?  I never thought that was allowed..


No comments:

Post a Comment