Monday, July 4, 2011

The perils of a billowy dress

Time tackled the WTA's upcoming ad campaign in an article titled Game, Sex and Match: The Perils of Female Sports Advertising. I just wanted to make a brief note of this, as it touches on the same things I said about the recent movie Sucker Punch. I treated the subject more fully here, but here's a tidbit of what I mean, from the Time article:

Ultimately, the controversy surrounding the portrayal of female athletes comes down to the context in which the public is comfortable looking at women. With that in mind, it's harder to fault the WTA. In fact, in their 30-second commercials they blend the provocative imagery with details of the players' lives — and that elevates the ads beyond mere fluff. The spot featuring Ana Ivonovic is particularly stirring. "During the war in Serbia, they bombed us all day and all night," we hear her say as she takes a swing at a ball in slow motion. "But if I got up early enough, I could practice before the planes came." It's just a shame that her inner strength has to be wrapped in a billowy dress.

"A shame". I find it astonishing that the people who probably imagine themselves to be in favor of gender equality are judging the statements of women based on what they're wearing. As if what she says would have more meaning if she were wearing a burkha.

No comments:

Post a Comment