Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Selections.7

Growing up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I didn't learn until well into the 8th grade about the somber cloud looming over the city's brief history - The Tulsa Race Riot which took place in 1921 along a section of town called Greenwood, not far from my own neighborhood.   In the dozens of textbooks I was made to "read" in school, I had yet to come across one word about the mass graves, the 35 blocks of town that were burned to the ground by mobs, bombings, and even aerial attacks.  It was not uncommon for the Tulsa curriculum to omit these details evidently, as my peers were as oblivious to the event as I was.

Needless to say, this is an essential part of my hometown's history, and I was immensely intrigued when I found a small handful of related images in the University of Tulsa's department of Special Collections.




No comments:

Post a Comment