Tuesday, May 17, 2011

World champions 2011

Here's some pictures I took of the world championship celebrations in Helsinki on Monday. Unlike most pictures on my blog, these ones I actually took myself, so they're covered by the same CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license as the text. Enjoy!

Even Helsinki's biggest department store got in on the act:


The flood of people started on Aleksanterinkatu...


...watched over by black helicopters:


For any foreign readers, I should explain that Finnish people don't do this kind of thing. In my lifetime, I only remember two other times like this: the previous world championship in 1995 and when GWAR won the Eurovision Song Contest.


They must have done pretty well on those Finnish flags.


Like I said, this isn't exactly normal for us. There were people on top of tram stops:


Kappeli restaurant:


Kauppahalli:


Traffic signs:


And traffic lights!


You could easily pass this one off as a picture from a revolution in Helsinki.


We're being told that there were nearly 100,000 people present.


Despite appearances, I don't think that's actually a neo-Nazi rally on top of a collapsing roof.


There were fireworks, somewhat pointless in the bright sunlight...


...which did cover the Orthodox cathedral in St. Paulesque smoke.


Even the crane operator got in on the celebrations.


And here it is: the world championship trophy. That's as good a look at it as we got!


And finally, on what could be construed as a nauseatingly patriotic note, a powered paraglider. It isn't; that just happens to be a perfect picture to end this post with.

No comments:

Post a Comment